Documentation about Branches, Versions & Simulations¶
- Table of contents
- Documentation about Branches, Versions & Simulations
beCPG allows the management of many versions and many parallel branches of an entity at the same time.
- Version allows the tracking of the changes of an entity. It’s associated to a number (major or minor) and to a comment. The creation of a version implies the elaboration of a working copy. As long as there is a working copy, the initial entity isn’t editable.
- Branch allows the creation of a parallel development, based on an existing entity. It’s possible to classify a branch in the initial entity at the end of the development.
- Version should be used when a change has to be tracked. To create a new version, one has to get the rights on the entity. This latter can’t be modified by other users during the elaboration of the version.
- Branch should be used during long developments. Anyone can create a new branch of a product. It follows its own life cycle and its classifying as a new version necessitates to have the rights on the targetted entity.
- Creation of a product « Product – Trial A » which state is « Simulation » ;
- Creation of a branch from the « Product – Trial A » renamed as « Product – Trial B » ;
- Creation of another branch from the « Product – Trial A » renamed as « Product – Trial C » ;
- Creation of a sub-branch from the « Product – Trial B » renamed as « Product – Trial B.1 » ;
- The trial C is kept. The state of the « Product – Trial C » is changed from « Simulation » to « To Validate » and it’s also renamed as « Product ».
- The product can now be sent to a validation circuit. Other trials can be stored in the project folder or they can be deleted.
Modification of a validated product¶
Case of an error or of a simple change:
The authorized person creates a new version of a product which state stays unchanged. The new version becomes immediately the validate version of the product. Changements are tracked.
Case of a long changement as for a raw material updating :
- The user creates a new branch for the MP1 with the « Simulation » state ;
- The user renames the branch as « MP – Referencing 2017 » and moves it to the dedicated space (this can be automated by rules) ;
- The user runs the updates, possibly by launching a supplier referencing process on the branch.
- The MP1 is Validated and the existing recipes stay inchanged. The new recipes continue to use the MP1 ;
- Once the new branch is completed, it can enter a validation processus ;
- Eventually, the new branch is merged with the existing MP ;
- The MP1 version changes. The new version contains the informations entered in the branch, and the existing products are impacted.
When there is a version changement, the product reformulation can be manual or automatic.
Creation of a new version of a product¶
Open the product and press the « Action » button. Here, click on « New version » in order to create a new version for this product.
The system creates a working copy and indicates its creator.The possible actions are :
- « Check in new version » : to range the applied modifications ;
- « Cancel new version » : to go back to the prior version ;
- « View original document » : to consult the prior version.
When pressing « Check in new version », one must choose if it’s a minor or a major version and add a comment.
It’s also possible to consult the prior version of each list.
Creation of a new branch¶
Open the product and press the « Action » button. Here, click on « New branch » in order to create a new branch for this product.
A list introduces the different current branches of the product. This list allows to easy move from a branch to another. It’s possible to validate or not certain branches by changing their state.
In order to facilitate follow-up of the product development, the application disposes of a tool which displays the graph of the product versions.
This graph allows a complete tracking of the comments, versions and branches, and allows a clear reading of the changements in the time.
When a branch has been created, it can be merged to another entity through the « Action » menu.
Comparison between a product and its prior version¶It’s possible to compare a product to its prior version through the « Compare » button of the versions history accessible in the versions graph. The system generates a document describing :
- The structural comparison of the product composition ;
- The metadata comparison and the product characteristics comparison.
The « Simulation » tool allows the testing of a new formulation of a semi finished product or a raw material without impacting the other products in which they are used.
Simulation of a semi finished product¶
Go to the « Composition » list of the finished product and find the semi-finished product which should be simulated. Put the cursor on the semi-finished product line and, in the « Action » column press « More » and then « Simulate ».
When a semi-finished product is simulated, a copy of this latter is created in the repertory of its parental finished product. This copy corresponds to the new branch of the original semi-finished product.
Thus, as soon as the properties of the simulated semi-finished product are modified, only the parental finished product is impacted.
Simulation of a raw material¶
Go to the « Composition » list of the finished product and find the raw material which should be simulated. Put the cursor on the raw material line and, in the « Action » column press « More » and then « Simulate ».
When a raw material is simulated, a copy of this latter and a copy of its parental semi-finished product are created in the repertory of their parental finished product. This copy corresponds to the new branch of the original raw material.
Thus, as soon as the raw material properties are modified, only its parental semi finished product and parental finished product are modified.